Pages

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Done and happy about it




And so the weight has been lifted from my shoulders - my independent professional project, a nonfiction book about my crazy loveable family, is done. And as of today, bound by coils. I couldn't be happier than I am at this moment.

For those of us in the Creative Communications program, our IPP is like our thesis, showcasing the skills we've honed for the last two years. We've been working on each of ours for about a year.

So, in celebration of my first book being finished, I'd thought I'd share a piece.



PROLOGUE

There are three things you should know before you read this story. One, my maternal grandmother was Cree. Two, up until I was 7 years old I was a very pale blonde. Now I am a very pale brunette. Three, because my grandmother died when I was 2 years old, I know her only through the stories that have been told to me. I now know her very well.

Forbes was my grandmother’s younger brother. When he died his only grandchild, Lilly, to whom this book is dedicated, was less than a year old. The only way she will know her grandfather is through the stories told to her.

And so, continuing the oral tradition of storytelling, though updating it by writing it down, one day I will tell her this story, of our family and her grandfather’s funeral.

There will be many others, I am sure.

That is why the title of this book couldn’t be anything other than, “There’s a story”.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?